After Minnesota defrosts from the winter, people are outside all the time during the summer. Summer was always a time for lakes, grilling, and burgers. Summer is almost over [what? How is it August?] and we can’t let the summer pass by without a burger recipe! I love a good burger, but I am not into those frozen store bought burgers. I wouldn’t mind trying a veggie burger, but the frozen varieties don’t look appetizing to me. I will never choose those over a real burger. These black bean burgers, however, are filling, healthy, and flavorful. Like many of my recipes, they’re also easy! You can make these in a skillet, bake them in the oven, or cook them on the grill. So, try these black bean burgers for Meatless Monday. Or any day.
Chop the onions and bell peppers and mince the garlic. All of those ingredients will be sautéed in a skillet. It’ll smell really good and like a combination that makes you not want to talk too closely to anyone. Sauté the onions, bell peppers, and garlic until almost translucent. It will only take two or three minutes.
Pour black beans into a small bowl so they will be easier to mash.
Mash the black beans in a bowl. They don’t have to be a perfectly smooth paste. In fact, you don’t want them to be a perfectly smooth paste. Some of the beans can still be whole. It will give the burgers a nice texture. Mix in the seasonings, lime juice, honey mustard, green chiles, and onion/garlic/bell pepper mixture. Add the egg and mix the to the black bean mixture. Then, add in the bread crumbs.
After stirring in the bread crumbs, form the black bean mixture into patties.
Cook patties on medium heat until brown on both sides. It will take approximately 4-6 minutes per side.
It will look like this when they’re ready to flip…
When the burgers are cooked, plate them on a bed of arugula and top with a slice of tomato and a sprinkle of feta cheese. Serve with a wedge of lime.
What is your favorite thing about the summer? We would love to hear from you in the comments, by email, or on social media!
Zesty Black Bean Burgers
- 1-15 oz can black beans, drained
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1/4 bell pepper, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tbsp honey mustard
- 1 tsp himalayan pink sea salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp diced green chiles
- Juice of 1/2 small lime
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 cup arugula
- 1 tomato
- 1/2 cu Feta cheese
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Coconut oil spray or other non-stick cooking spray
- Sauté onion, garlic, and bell pepper in pre-heated skillet with olive oil until almost translucent. Remove onion, garlic, and bell pepper from skillet and turn off heat until black bean mixture is finished.
- In medium bowl, mash black beans with honey mustard, sea salt, and pepper.
- Mix in onion, garlic, bell pepper, diced green chiles, and lime juice.
- Beat egg. Pour beaten egg into black bean mixture and mix until incorporated, careful not to over mix.
- Add bread crumbs and mix until incorporated.
- Form black bean mixture into patties.
- Heat coconut oil spray in large skillet.
- Add patties to skillet and cook over medium heat until browned.
- Plate cooked black bean burgers over bed of arugula and top with feta cheese and slice of tomato.