Have you recovered from Thanksgiving yet? I’m still working on it, so I’m liking this cauliflower soup right now. Lots of veggies and not a lot of work – just how i like it! Although I made this Meatless Monday soup with vegetable broth, you can use whatever you have at home. Only have chicken broth? That’s okay, I won’t tell anyone. As a side note, I pretty much always have some type of broth in my pantry and you should too. You never know when you’re going to want some and although I live walking distance from a Trader Joe’s, I don’t want to make unnecessary trips to the grocery store. Now, if you’re not a huge cauliflower fan, I still think you should give this soup a try. I typically do not think cauliflower has much flavor, but this soup is on a whole different level and a tasty way to get some veggies into your diet in between all of the holiday unhealthy food!
Like most of my recipes, this is super easy and mainly goes: chop, sauté, stir, repeat. One secret to this recipe is that it is made with coconut oil. However, it actually has a pretty neutral taste, so this doesn’t taste like coconut soup (not that that would be bad). You can substitute butter or olive oil for the coconut oil if you don’t have any on hand and don’t want to buy it. Sauté the diced onions in a large pot on medium heat for a couple of minutes, stirring occasionally so they don’t stick to the pot.
Give the onions a good stir and add the celery. It’s going to get bright green and gorgeous as it starts to cook and soften. Cook the celery and onions for 2-4 minutes until celery begins to soften.
Give everything a stir again (I told you stirring is one of the main steps in this recipe) and add the chopped cauliflower. Let everything cook for around 5 minutes so the cauliflower begins to soften.
Add in the vegetable broth and stir. Cook for one minute. Add in the milk and cook for another 5-10 minutes. Your vegetables should be soft.
Turn off the heat. Using an immersion blender, blend the soup until it is smooth.
Add the cheese and blend the soup again. If you don’t like cheese (WHO ARE YOU?), are lactose intolerant (I’m sorry) or are just being healthy (fine.), you can leave out the cheese. It will still taste delicious. However, I would add a little extra seasoning if you’re leaving out the cheese.
Blend the soup again until the cheese is melted and the soup is smooth.
Pour soup into bowls and serve.
Creamy Cauliflower Soup
- 3 cups vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 head cauliflower, chopped
- 7 stalks of celery, chopped into 1 cm pieces
- 1/2 cup shredded gruyere cheese
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- Chop onion, celery, and cauliflower.
- Heat coconut oil in large pot. Add onions and sauté until almost soft.
- Add celery and sauté for two more minutes.
- Add cauliflower and cook for approximately 5 minutes.
- Add vegetable broth and cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add milk and cook for 5-10 minutes, until vegetables are soft. Stir occasionally.
- Using an immersion blender, blend soup until almost smooth.
- Add cheese and seasonings, then blend soup again until smooth.
- Serve hot.