We’re back at it with Meatless Monday! I love cooking stir fry because it has lots of veggies, is easy to make in big portions, and makes for great leftovers. This vegetable stir fry is a go-to with me and I put in all of my favorite vegetables. You can add or remove vegetables depending on what you like, making it completely customizable. You’re going to want to make this ASAP.
I start out by cooking the rice so I can chop and prepare the vegetables while the rice cooks. I use brown rice, but you can use white if that’s more your style. When the rice is finished cooking, there won’t be any water left in the pot and small holes will have formed in the rice. While the rice cooks, prepare the vegetables. Cook the peas while you chop the vegetables. When the peas are finished cooking, transfer them to a small bowl.
Chop all of the vegetables. Heat olive oil in skillet or wok and sauté onions, carrots, and bell peppers over medium heat.
After about 3 minutes, add the other vegetables and continue to cook.
Things will get a little steamy as everything is cooking. Mmm…
When the vegetables are just about cooked, move the vegetables over to the side and add the egg. Let it cook on one side for 1-2 minutes and then scramble it. While the egg is cooking, mix the soy sauce, garlic clove, brown sugar, and sesame oil and set aside.
After scrambling the egg, stir it into the vegetables.
Add the rice to the vegetables and stir until the vegetables are evenly distributed.
Add in the soy sauce mixture and mix well. Serve hot!
Vegetable Stir Fry
- 1 1/2 cup brown rice
- 3/4 cup peas
- 3 whole carrots, sliced
- 2 cups broccoli
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 3/4 of a red bell pepper, diced
- 1 portobello mushroom, diced
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 2/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- Cook rice, using 1 part rice to 2 parts water.
- Cook peas according to package directions. They usually just less than 5 minutes to cook. Set the peas aside when they are cooked.
- Chop vegetables.
- Add bell pepper, onion, and carrots to pre-heated skillet with oil. Cook 3 minutes on medium heat, then add remainder of vegetables.
- Cook vegetables for 5-7 minutes.
- While vegetables cook, mix soy sauce, brown sugar, sesame oil, and garlic clove in small bowl.
- Scramble egg in skillet with vegetables. Mix scrambled egg with vegetables.
- Add rice to vegetables and stir until vegetables are evenly distributed.
- Pour soy sauce mixture over rice and vegetables and mix well. Cook 1-2 minutes before serving.