Quinoa is healthy and versatile, but I do not eat is as much for breakfast. Around the holidays, there’s so much baking and dessert-eating that I try to balance it out…a little bit. So, I made this quinoa breakfast bowl. This quinoa breakfast bowl is not only filling, but flavorful as well. And it has bacon. BACON. You can’t go wrong with bacon. Toss in whatever veggies you want as well. So easy, so good.
Make sure you rinse the strainer before you cook the quinoa. I like using two parts water for one part quinoa. While the quinoa cooks, you can prep your onions, bell peppers, and whatever other veggies you’re planning to add. You can add some garlic too if you want your breath to smell extra good before you begin your day. Sauté your veggies before adding the quinoa.
Cook the bacon in a separate skillet (or you can use one skillet, empty the bacon grease, and sauté the veggies in the little bit of grease that is left – YES. REALLY.). Cut up the bacon into pieces after it is cooked.
This recipe is really just about mixing everything together. Not much to it. If you don’t like runny egg yolks, you can cook them over medium or scramble them. You’re getting in your protein!
One of my co-workers just told me that eating a lot of grains in the morning could make you more tired, so if that’s true, you make have to balance the risk of sleepiness with the deliciousness that is a quinoa breakfast bowl.
If you want to make this even healthier, leave out the cheese and bacon. But, let’s be honest, do you really want to miss out on cheese and bacon? Probably not. Happy Friday!
For more Friday treats, visit The Novice Gardener!
Quinoa Breakfast Bowls
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 4 pieces of bacon
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Cook quinoa by using 1 part quinoa to 2 parts water.
- Cook bacon. While bacon cooks, dice bell pepper and onion.
- Drain bacon grease and sauté bell pepper and onion in skillet.
- Add cooked quinoa and seasonings, stirring until combined.
- In separate skillet, cook egg for 2 minutes. Flip egg, careful not to break the yolk. Cook for an additional two minutes.
- Serve quinoa in bowls and top with egg and sprinkled cheddar cheese.