I was in Mammoth Lakes, California, with a group of friends for New Years Eve. We had a great time skiing, snowshoeing, and snowboarding on the short trip. I did not grow up around mountains (we traveled from frigid Minnesota to tropical climates), but I always love going to and seeing the mountains covered with snow. The air is fresh and it leaves me feeling refreshed. This is what I was working with:
One night we made this chicken and white bean chili after a long day on the slopes. This recipe made enough to feed six hungry adults, with some for leftovers. It is healthy and uses my favorite kitchen tool – the slow cooker. We served this chicken chili with the blue cornbread muffins.
Place sliced chicken in slow cooker. Rinse and drain beans and spread on top of chicken.
Add the chopped onion, garlic, frozen corn, green chiles, 1/2 cup of cheese, and seasonings.
Pour in chicken broth and cans of water. Stir ingredients to mix them together before cooking.
Cook on high in slow cooker for 4.5 hours or on low for 7-8 hours.
Mix in the remainder of cheese before serving. Serve with your favorite garnish, like a sprinkle of cheese or a spoon of sour cream. This recipe makes plenty to feed a hungry crowd, but I recommend halving it if you don’t want too many leftovers and are not feeding a large group.
The blue cornbread muffins were cooked with butter…so good! My friends volunteered to serve as hand models.
Not a bad night: white chicken chili and a glass of Malbec.
Slow Cooker Chicken and White Bean Chili
- 3 cans of great northern (white) beans
- 3 cups of chicken broth
- 2 cans of water
- 1 cup of frozen corn
- 2 lbs of chicken thighs, sliced into strips
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tbsp pepper
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp thyme
- 1 small can of green chiles
- 1 cup of shredded cheddar and monterey jack cheese
- sour cream for garnish
- Place sliced, raw chicken in slow cooker.
- Rinse and drain beans. Add beans to slow cooker.
- Add chopped onion, garlic, frozen corn, green chiles, 1/2 cup of cheese, and seasonings.
- Pour in chicken broth and cans of water.
- Cook on high in slow cooker for 4.5 hours or on low for 7-8 hours.
- Mix in remainder of cheese before serving. Serve with a sprinkle of cheese and topped with a small spoon of sour cream.